Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Remembering Fashion Show Models #PersonalStory





I remembered my best friend the other day. She’s the most beautiful lady I’ve ever mingled with during my college days. She told me about what she felt while attending a fashion show – in a ringside seat. Read her musing, by way of “pouting your lips while reading.”


My trying-hard female friend’s musing about the fashion show and its models.

For a minute I thought the models had lost out. Or maybe I was facing the wrong way. The huge blot of passionate pink behind me deserved a second look, if not a few hundred more. Her dress, if I may refer to it in passing, was a magnificent monstrosity of ruffles, beads, ruches and stitches; her face a palette from one of Van Gogh’s particularly crazed moods.

Or should I turn my chair East, and face the multicolored splendor of “Pity-ya”? (Apologies to Michelangelo).

The 48-degree angle was also nice. Apart from the slight discomfort, owing to half-sitting on my neighbor’s lap. I would enjoy looking at the lady with white skin.

Or should I…

“Could you, for God’s sake, sit still lady?”

“I’m so sorry,” I say sweetly, “but I thought this was the real show.”


What is it about attending a fashion show that makes all of us declare war on sense and sobriety? As if attending a voodoo session, we dress and do up our faces to look like creatures possessed, who will any minute begin to writhe on the floor and roll their eyes to some throbbing mumbo-jumbo, as if to exorcise the little green monsters in the head. Thank God for the smudge-proof mascara, moisturizing eye shadow, and long-lasting lipstick. What would we do without these small mercies in life?

The thought of other women on stage, beautiful, lissome, with never-ending legs, dressed in exotic clothes, like rare birds of paradise fluttering provocatively on glossy branches, seems to rob us of all objectivity. Instead of being mere spectators to an event, we try to become the objects of attention ourselves.

There is nothing wrong with dressing to kill; it’s a happy death indeed that comes from the lethal arsenal of good looks combined with good taste. But when a public appearance becomes an occasion to plume one’s insecurities, the brighter the better, taste goes for a toss.

There is no point in envying the models on stage; it’s their business to look good, they are there because they look good. So, how about sitting back, relaxing, and enjoying the show, instead of being in a constant state of anxiety whether anybody is looking at you or not?

Each woman has her own kind of appeal, and while it may not be the kind to set the sky on fire, it’s not going to work for her either, if she hollers the battle cry and dons war-paint every time another beautiful woman is around.

The idea is not to simply draw attention, that’s the easiest bait for anybody to bite, but to draw the right kind of attention, and that can be achieved by an honest appraisal of your looks, the suitability of certain fashions for your body, and a healthy dose of self-esteem.

And there are times when it is infinitely more pleasurable to put your feet up, give up the unequal struggle and enjoy a chance to see rather than be seen.

Like they say, if you can’t join them, dear readers, give them a big hand.







34 comments:

  1. Yes, each of us is unique in our own way. Good for those who are blessed with "appeal" and are models. ;) I don't think I can ever be that. Here's the "big hand"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are have talents and blessed to have great figures, they don't need to do anything because its in their genes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were all born with innate beauty. Although we're not all model material, there's beauty in each of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those models work so very hard at a very fast pace, I couldn't imagine how could they do it, definitely, they have my big hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will join Jo for the Big Hand as well. I admire people who have the charisma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, our uniqueness makes each of us different in our own way! I think I am one of the few women out there who are not that fond with fashion shows. So a live fashion show is something that won't interest me at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm unsure about the point of this post, mostly because your friend isn't making a point about fashion shows and models, exactly. Your friend sounds more like a feminist who is defending women's neverending obsession with vanity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fashion is all about confidence. Not all people have that kind of gifts. Lucky to those who have,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fashion and watching fashion shows. Indeed, models are there because they look good and they're good at showing off the clothing. No point in being jealous of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember, when I was younger I dream to be a model. Probably because I was still slim back then... but things has changed. Probably I'm not really destined to be in runway! :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. At the end the day it all boils down to how you perceive things. I love watching fashion shows and I appreciate every single beauty walking down the runway but I don't feel insecure at all.

    Great post! It reminds everyone to feel confident with their God-given attributes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is refreshing to read. Also coming from a guy. I realized recently that fashion shows like Victoria Secret tend to objectify women in some ways

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can understand this, the heightened excitement of attending a fashion show especially from a big designer label. The importance of being seen & watching the runway is just as important... hell, as a businesswoman in the world of fashion who capitalizes on this I don't want that to stop...even if my own Jac&Jam is just a small start up brand & a trickle from the big retail brands :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I admire people who can carry themselves in the crowd. If I can find a modeling school or just a session I will enroll myself and my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Modelling is gaining confidence and I guess they are too blessed to have these plus the workshops they are having. The fast pace world and instant glamour..wow! They're born that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I envy those models on the runway, how I wish I am one of them. However, I now that modelling is also a difficult carrier, having to deal with a very fast paced world. Mecheel is right instant glamour is attached with being a model. I like the way you have written this! You made me want to read it all over again.
    -ivy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Society is cruel and you cannot please anyone. Perhaps, maybe your friend should stop attending fashion shows.

    ReplyDelete
  18. for me, beauty is just a plus what matters most is what's inside you...your personality.

    ReplyDelete
  19. whenever I watch a fashion show I can't help but envy the tall, skinny ramp models. But they have sacrifices in maintaining their figures. They might not even enjoy the food I eat. My envy is fleeting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. All of us posses a beauty of his or her own. We should embrace it and appreciate the beauty of otyers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. "if you can’t join them, dear readers, give them a big hand." Hahaha I would like to join them, but I'm not raised, genetically, the way they were. But I'm still hopeful, just kidding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm a fan of fashion shows! I admire their beauty and I know that it's a tough job. I don't think there's anything wrong about these programs as long as they promote art, and not sexuality.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love going to a fashion show, and yes I envy some models. I wish I have their legs and their heights...in short, I admire them so much. They are so bless to have that figure!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is actually a nice narrative, even if it's a bit negative sounding. I personally love attending fashion shows because I love the theatricals on the runway.

    ReplyDelete
  25. There are 2 totally different aspects in fashion shows. One is the models who has to look good and second is the clothing/jewelry/accessories which is the talent of the designer. Good looks are God given, but good dressing style, risk taking in clothing choices, being different in fashion choices is every individual's personal talent! Fashion events are the best place for everyone to bring it out. So why not!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's definitely a model's job to look good they are selling the clothes after all. What's not good is being envious of them, that's something that could totally ruin your confidence. Love the message that you're trying to convey!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree that each woman has their own appeal. They should just focus on that appeal and build on that.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I attended a fashion show by one of the popular designers in the country whom I had the chance to know personally. I enjoyed watching the actual show when models and celebrities strutted their stuff on the ramp. But I suffered during the cocktail reception wherein I had to stand on my stiletto heels the whole time while there were people who were sizing up other attendees in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am not much into these fashion shows. Their job is to make clothes, even though how ridiculous-looking, sellable. It is not an easy a job as one would think.

    ReplyDelete
  30. We all are beautiful in our own ways! Models do have good looks but hard work and other flip sides are always there too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I believe we all are blessed in some or other way and really can't compare anything. Modelling looks good but surely not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Every job has their difficulties which people don't know about. As models, they have to look pretty and at their best state. That is way more stressful than others!

    ReplyDelete
  33. IMO, if you look carefully, models looks pretty much like the other because no doubt they are tall and beautiful and have legs that run forever, they are merely clothes hangers that show off the clothes they dorn on stage. Fashion Designers often look for a team of models that have similar looks so that its not the models that would be presented, the clothes are.

    However, and also unfortunately, with the mass media and the big brand names with money tend to promote them as benchmark of beauty, many a times, this create the discrepancy so large in women (me included) and men and when they compared upwards, all they see in themselves are flaws... and subconsciously coming to a conclusion that they are not appealing enough to the opposite sex.

    All in all, competition exists even in the animal kingdom and it will never cease. Perception takes eons to change, if, there is any chance at all.

    ReplyDelete
  34. i guess there are different types of modelling so everyone will be pressured in a way or another. its not easy

    ReplyDelete