Tuesday, January 28, 2014

How to Survive When You're Sacked #PersonalStory


When my friend got sacked from his job, he approached me and we talked about it. While telling his "not-so-interested-story," I really had to show that I care, listening to him means a favor returned. His first sentence was:

"Getting the sack is far from being the end of the world." I felt guilty because I thought that he wanted to "throw the world" at me. But instead, continue reading.

Even if you don’t like your job very much, the last thing you want is to be sacked from it. Having the control over your destiny snatched away, finding yourself suddenly without an income, with no structure to the day and no friends in familiar surroundings, having to explain to future employers and the rest of the world why you weren’t wanted. It hurts and it’s messy.

The degree of hurt depends very much on your own resources and what you’ve got tied up in the job; someone whose sense of status is dependent on their position is going to take being sacked much harder than someone who derives their sense of worth from other, entirely separate things. And the person with a life-style (and debts) to go with the position is going to be more adversely affected than someone more flexible. But, however able you are to cope with the eventual outcome the moment the axe actually falls, even if you have been expecting it – always comes as a shock.

Even when in your heart of hearts you know it’s coming, you kid yourself for a while and think you must be paranoid. Even though, as I found out later, everyone knew when it finally happened it came like a bolt out of the blue. It was awful. I thought I was going in for a meeting to discuss some routine business and a few moments later I realized that business was me. It’s horrific to have to go through that.

Despite the shock I felt upset but somehow my instinct for self-preservation took over. I did felt damaged inside, but I used that time to work out what I wanted and managed to pull myself together. I went icy calm. I asked for an explanation, put my own case forward and maintained dignity throughout, which was good, it helped me think clearly. I said I should be paid off because I’d done valuable work. I knew work wasn’t the problem. This was politics. My new boss wanted his person in my place. I showed spirit and a sense of fairness, but I wanted compensation for what I’d been through.

I got the money right then – a very substantial amount. My superior just wrote a cheque. That sweetened things; it makes you realize you’re worth something. Really, it all went fairly decently and everyone involved was very pleasant about it. Employers want to be eased out of a situation like that because nobody likes it.

Surviving the actual sacking and getting what you think is fair... is one crisis over, but next comes the longer process of recovery.

The next six weeks were awful. You feel angry, shocked, depressed and miserable and you doubt yourself; it’s very upsetting being rejected. And I missed the place; you’ve lost something and you have to mourn. It takes time and you need to be easy on yourself and go at your own pace. At first I couldn’t look people in the eye. I was ashamed. But when I started telling others about what had happened. I found that lots of people had been in a similar position. That helped me cope. In my field of work these things usually happen because your face doesn’t fit, not because of incompetence.

After that I felt a sense of relief. It was summer and I was free. I had time to think out what I wanted to do next. And I told myself I was good. I had existed before and during the sacking and I was going to go on afterwards. So I thought of other ways of operating.

So, I did find another job of my interest and it was good for me. I got my confidence back. I hadn’t fallen off the edge of the world after all and I could keep plugging away. Also, I realized, I felt happier working in a big organization, so, after about a year, a well-paid job in a large firm was molding me positively.

After a half-hour-listening to this man, I felt embarrassed for what I'm thinking about...I thought the reversed otherwise.






29 comments:

  1. politics in a workplace really sucks, i have not experienced being sacked - thank goodness! but i experienced being by-passed on a promotion i well-deserved, the one promoted was the gf of the boss lol. life sometimes is too hard to understand but all things happen for a reason

    ReplyDelete
  2. i find this very helpful for those who encounter the problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Office politics is inevitable. It's one constant that will never disappear in any corporate environment. The only difference is it may exist more rampant on some and it's not as blatant on others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i always prepare for this scenario, considering the economy right now, in our school district, it's last one in, first one out, and being one of the last one hired because we had freeze hiring since 4 years ago, i know, if worse comes i would by seniority be the ones to be sacked first, thus i always see savings as very important that i still could live comfortably despite losing job, the hardest is not always financially, but moving on, and the process of looking for job again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess in life you can't get everything you desire. I've never experience this kind of situation, and hoping not to experience this in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. all things happen for a reason. Though i can never relate to this and not looking forwadr being sack if I get a job haha. It was nice reading it and getting all some help and extra info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have yet to find a company without any office politics involved. There are so many brown nosers out there, waiting to pounce on you if they see you have a potential to move up the career ladder. I went through this experience before. I was depressed and angry. But karma got them though. The company lost its business.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a sensitive topic but it's better to lend a listening ear to someone experiencing this problem. This will, at the very least, lessen the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life is full of mysteries indeed! It is like a circle. Today we are up, the next day we are down. You are such a good friend for listening to your friend while he is venting his problem. I am sure that he can find a better job next time :) Good luck to him :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's hard once you are in the situation and if you don't have a friends to rely on.even listening your problems is more than worst.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this article is worth sharing to many because the experience related here will help people deal with the same situation...

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's always an opportunity knocking at your door and I think that was a blessing in disguise. Your friend wouldn't be in a better job if not for him being sacked. But being sacked in a job sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just think of it as a way to find better opportunities. Life has to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are really some nice tips for everyone, especially our dearest OFWs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's office politics everywhere and even if we want to stay away from it, there are leeches and people who are sick in the head in the company who will do anything ( even if it's wrong ) for their own good. It sucks and it's disappointing but I think whilst one can't get away from a certain job or company, if you're paid well and if puts decent food on the table, it's enough reason to stick it through. I guess what I'm trying to say is that despite how bad a situation is at work, it helps to still have an attitude of gratitude.

    Getting sacked is a different thing. I've had a friends who were in a similar situation. Your friend's brave enough to be able to talk about it. My friends who've been through that preferred not to talk about it and sadly, they distanced themselves from people. It's understandable. Healing and getting your groove back will eventually happen. We are not given challenges that we can't handle right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whenever our friends or family members are down and needed someone to talk to all we have to do is listen to them. Sometimes we don't have to give advise just listening to them is all enough

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, getting sacked really sucks! I guess that's why employers here in sg are 'better' in a sense that they do not sack you, but ask you to tender your own resignations. some might think it's because they do not want to pay the compensation of sacking the employee, but actually it's helping the employee to not leave a 'black mark' on his/her cv.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It happens in every office. Getting sacked is really awful, but you shouldn't think that because it happened to you, you are not competent. Glad your friend moved on and found a job that's goof for him.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it's so important to realize that it truly isn't the end and it's sort of another chance for you to find something that's more fulfilling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great to know that you gained your confidence back. I can understand the pressure when you lost your job. I hope that you cam excel in your new job

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is why I wanted to be self-employed. Getting fired is such a traumatic experience, especially if you think you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you've been feeling bored with your work or career, you're not alone. We really feel this sometimes most especially if your not happy with it or you don't like your surroundings.

    A friend of mine also feel this, and my only advice is --- you may need to move on. .... Get wild! Sometimes we just need to let loose.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This resembles a sudden broken relationship, especially a betrayal. Thanks for sharing this story... Sometimes I feel I can't help but feel for him too :(

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whenever I heard issues about retrenchment in our company, it worries me a lot. So the best thing I do is save as more as I can so when that time comes, I may be hurt emotionally or professionally, but I can manage and move on financially.

    ReplyDelete

  25. I agree with Fred. This is why I prefer to be self-employed because of the stress being employed brings. But if anyone is caught in that situation, they should always look at the good side rather than dwell or take it as a failure.

    ReplyDelete
  26. While I've never been fired from a job I have had a few friends who've been laid off and it can be stressful. We do have to realize it's not the end of the world and we can survive. It's why I've always said to budget because you never know what will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It happens especially when companies start losing money. Sometimes, you don't have to think you're not needed but meant for something else.

    ReplyDelete
  28. an interesting story - your friend was very brave to have told you the story in such a straight and frank manner. Sometimes, we need a door to the past close, so we can take the plunge into the brave new world - which might be for the better!

    ReplyDelete
  29. it's very brave of your friend to share his story with you so frankly and bravely. Sometimes we just need the door to our past closed, so that we can move into new opportunities.

    ReplyDelete