Saturday, February 1, 2014

Please Forgive My Ignorance #PersonalStory


It's my day off that I went to Golden Fork, a Filipino Restaurant at Al Riqqa Street, Dubai City. I met my friend who joined me and we ordered Bulalo and bread. While waiting for our food, he told an amusing story, is it really amusing?

####

My experienced before the onset of this computer age. Right now, I can say that I am quite a bit awkward when I remembered those happy days, am I?

There comes a time in every man’s life when he has to accept the fact that he is just about as dumb as he looks. And there is no time when a person feels dumber than when he is shopping for PC.

I experienced this not-so-funny story of my life when computers were starting to engulfed the whole world including our place. And, here’s my story, long, long time ago.

To prove my point, and to earn the dubious distinction of being one of the last living human being to get on-line, I have spent quite a bit of time looking for a PC, which is, of course, the technical abbreviation for Pretty Confusing.

Computer shopping at that time can be confusing for one of two reasons: You do not understand computer technology and you really are an idiot. Unless you are a computer literate, which means you speak a language that in no way resembles English, it is virtually impossible to figure out what anything means. I offer as an example the following list of common computer terms, along with what most normal people think they mean.

1) Windows – those glass things on the sides of houses and buildings that you see outside.

2) Mouse – those creatures swarming our kitchen during the night.

3)Megabytes – huge mouthful of food

4)Power chips – those potatoes in fast food

That is why, when you are in a computer store and a member of the computer support staff is telling you all about a particular system and the hardware, and the accessories that is included, you will probably be standing there thinking, “This thing comes with a light generator or flashlight?” What you really need is a screwdriver – vodka, orange juice over ice – to help you get through this ordeal. In lieu of that I offer the following computer tips for dummies – people who do not know computer in today’s generation – which come with my personal guarantee: If you believe any of them, you are an even bigger dummy than I am.

1) Don’t try to hide your stupidity. The fact that you are totally ignorant about computers will be obvious approximately 1.5 seconds after you open your mouth. Instead, introduce yourself to a friendly computer salesperson and say; “I am a dummy.” Repeat this three times. Then prostrate yourself in front of him and beg for help. Otherwise, you may find yourself in a limbo.

2) Never refer to computer salespeople as nerds. Not only do they have feelings, but they are there to help you. And they can get terrible revenge for your insensitivity by hooking you up to a system that, with the right software, will blow your top the moment you log on.

3) If you do not buy a computer soon, you will die. That is because technology has advanced to the point where people cannot live without PC’s and it is a must.

4) When you finally buy a home computer, you should learn how to use it. The best way to do this is to go to Computer Dummy School. The store from which I am buying my wonderful new system, for example, offers a six-hour class for people who are just as stupid as I am. Or, find another person to teach you the basic of being a fool. And, of course, I’ll probably spend the whole time looking out the Windows, reminiscing “Oh that was long ago, I am crazy now.”

I smiled like Mona Lisa effect but deep inside I was laughing out loud (LOL). If you are reading right now, maybe, just maybe, you’re thinking that I’m using my home computer? You’re wrong! I’m using my sleek laptop with gadgets and accessories that I never imagined before.






23 comments:

  1. Just like every skill, learning new technology can be daunting at times. One just has to have patience and an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, this is pretty funny but is totally true. I've never experienced this since I'm still in school when the computers started to "invade" us, but for my mom, now that's a different story. Teaching her to turn on and off the computer properly takes about a couple of hours! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. we started with this kind of computer and now we are using a laptop. I like telling my daughter about those computers and it makes her laugh coz she couldn't believe it

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should really learn to be computer literate this days as most transactions are done online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHA! I do remember the days when I was still younger and had absolutely no idea what a computer is. Technology has indeed changed the lives of the many! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL. I can't help but to agree. I wonder how the future generation of computers would look like and if there are also some innovations with the names. SOmetimes, ignorance is a bliss. We have been ignorant one time in our lives. It's just a matter of learning things from experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess that everything has to start from shall we say very odd and unique things until they were enhance by those scientist or builders or genius who wants to give us much better life about technology

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha I can relate. I did not get to use a computer till I was 25, it was embarrassing as my younger classmates in collage are very hands on with computer. I felt so dumb then (will still am when it comes to technology lol).

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first hands on computer when I was on 4th year high school and i'm so scared to touch considering it was disk and windows.lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very humorous post! I could actually see my old self before, back when PC's were being introduced to the general public. I for one was like, oblivious to what it had to offer. Then again, change is good. And I am now a certified computer addict!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very humorous post! I could actually see my old self before, back when PC's were being introduced to the general public. I for one was like, oblivious to what it had to offer. Then again, change is good. And I am now a certified computer addict!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't imagine a world without computers, that goes to show how much we have relied on them for doing a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is funny but so real. The younger generation are lucky, they will no longer have to go through the same experience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had my fair share of my awkward moments when it comes to computers! I was only good with family computer (you know, pacman) when I was a little girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a funny reality article sir. Haha... I just remember when I was on grade school and we were renting a computer in the shop to do a research. We were just like a stupid geek trying to understand what we'll gonna do. We were shy then to ask the personnel. But we give in to our stupidity, we asked and the guy in the comp shop thought us how to use the internet. That was my first ever lesson about the internet because our school was just teaching about microsoft word then.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, I still could remember my first computer lab, the computers then still have green lcd (?), and I forgot the language we use, though I enjoyed it a lot, but I think I enjoyed playing pac man more, haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everyone needs to acquire computer skills since computers are part of our lives now. It was pretty hard for me when I was just starting but I finally got the hand of it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember that first cellphone I had - the very very bulky ericsson 2 liner phone that weighed at least a kilo. haha. Technology is nothing to be afraid of, it makes a lot of things easier. I say that because my children now can have access to information with a few clicks. In my time, I had to stay in a library for hours! I am a late bloomer too, with the use of computers but I was determined to win the battle. And I did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh, I can totally relate! I'm just clueless like anybody else. Those days....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  20. smiling from ear to ear here remembering my own stupidity when it came to computers back then...when I was in college the mouse was yet to come :)

    I am glad, very glad that my senior citizen mom is now computer literate and we could chat non-stop, communicate through skype and she could manage to send e-mails :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Life is a learning process everyday. We learn new things and which makes us appreciate life and the experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  22. haha! I still know some people who are not "dummies" but just not interested in using today's technologies. I understand them, Technology can be complicated sometimes.

    When I bought my first laptop, I did your #1 tip - I never pretended to be a computer literate. LOL! I was just plainly honest with the sales guy and he was a great help!

    Sometimes it's hard to get yourself become up-to-date with the latest technology. The truth is, everybody has to learn to go with the flow of whatever is new or else, people will judge you as ignorant. Life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL on pretty confusing! I recalled bumping into this before on Facebook,

    Indeed, we can be the dumbest! I for one had my own experience when I first had my own smartphone, I asked my friend if Instgram can also be used if my mobile carrier is Globe. And my friend was like: WHat????? LOL!

    ReplyDelete